Aldershot review

Closed strip pubs and clubs south of the Watford Gap (but not inside the M25).
zante
Site Admin

Aldershot review

Post by zante »

Aldershot
My local is Tiffany's - local in that it is two mile from home and the next 'strip pub' that I know of is more than twenty miles away. Some may remember it as the Rose and Crown. Essentially only the name has changed, it is still run by Dave and Ruth and has two Rainbow girls Monday to Thursday evenings starting about 9.00 and two again on Saturday and Sunday afternoons between about 2.00 and 4.30.

The stage is slightly raised, about 20 ft long by 7ft wide, well lit, with a pole at each end. There are low bench seats along one side and one end, Along the other side there is a balustrade where you stand or sit on barstools, personally I like to sit on the low seats if I can, I can watch what is going on in the pub between dances and, with eyes at the level of the girls navels, I just have to look up to them! If you sit by one of the poles, you do have to be a bit careful of your pint as there always seems a danger that it will be swept off the narrow table top that is all that is between you and the dancer as she swings around the pole. It has never happened to me yet, but I live in hope.

The remaining end of the stage is presided over by Ruth who operates as DJ and maintains the level of decorum that is required by the local council killjoys. I don't know if Ruth ever was a Dancer, but if she were, she would have been a stunner! Occasionally the Council has a crackdown and for a while afterwards, the girls are limited to little more than a topless routine. In any event, the acts never reach the level of raunchiness that can be experienced at other pubs such as The Flags, Victoria. Woolpack etc.

Like many other pubs, Tiffany's has a large projection screen which they use for major sporting events. In their case the screen is at the end of the stage which is covered by a CCTV and you can watch the girls in stereo, live in front of you and larger than life on the screen. Between dances most of the girls sit at the bar, some join the punters around the stage for a chat before they start the rounds with their jug, one girl a few weeks back was even keeping a game of pool going!.

[Murray N, 17th August, 2001]

Inquisitiveness and punishment for long forgotten sins made me spent a day in Aldershot. A leader in the local Aldershot News lamented rumours that HMG was considering removing its military wing from Aldershot. As the article could not come up with a better reason than economics (a.k.a. government handouts for deprived feeling areas) I was wondering whether a place like Aldershot could sustain a strip pub without HM loyal soldiers. I think it could as hardly any servicemen, if any, were present.

Unfortunately I chose the day of the second leg of Leeds United vs Galatasaray. At nineish, the one girl for the night turned up. It was Claudia, who I had last seen at the Sportsbar in 1998 -- she is a very beautiful blonde. Neither she nor I understood why people who want to watch football at a pub have to do so at a strip-pub and thereby reducing the number of dances and opportunities to make money and to have fun. In the end she did brilliantly. I had a hand in persuading her to do a strip during the break - after changing into her costume she did not start her dance until after the second half began. Was it the hopelessness of Leeds‘ case or the beauty of Claudia, but after her first dance there was no longer any interest in football. One gentleman enjoyed the show so much, he even nicked the girl’s knickers. I think her earlier anxieties about having wasted her time coming here were unfounded. She did rather well in a packed pub.

Outside, the pub advertises female entertainers and exotic dancing with effigies of miniskirted and well-cleavaged girls. At the inside it is a very small pub with a fairly large stage with two poles. Those going for raw meat can sit around the stage and have an in-depth look and experience. Otherwise, the place reminded me of all those music pubs I visted in the late seventies/early eighties as it was covered all over with vinyl replicas (the titles could have been better chosen). The toilets were clean. The only drawback apart from the football was the pool table, but not as prominently annoying as in The Seven Stars. If anyone misses the last train, they do B&B - without the breakfast - for £15. Pub food is available until 8pm.

From 8 May onwards The Rose and Crown has 2 ladies on every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night as well as 1-3pm on Saturdays and 1.30-3.30 on Sundays.

[Hubert G, 20th April 2000]