XX CLOSED HP11 2LR White Horse, High Wycombe

Closed strip pubs and clubs south of the Watford Gap (but not inside the M25).
The Great Smell Of Brute
"Nice arse!"

Re: ** HP11 2LR White Horse, High Wycombe

Post by The Great Smell Of Brute »

"Agents working on behalf of the applicant, Streamdown Property Ltd, said demolishing the White Horse and replacing it with 'high quality' flats will 'reinvigorate and generate' the site."

Who the hell do they imagine they're kidding?! :shock: :lol:

"But their earlier HMO plan for the site would be a 'viable fall back' if these new flats are refused."

Financially viable for them of course, but would probably be viewed dimly by the local community.
pleasure_seeker
Appreciative connoisseur of female form

Post by pleasure_seeker »

The High Wycombe Society have submitted an objection to the flats re-development and offered a more realistic assessment of its merits:
"The Society objects to the application in its current form, as gross overdevelopment of the site, overbearing and of inappropriate character in scale, form, layout and detailed design"

Outcome of the planning application still pending.
pleasure_seeker

The new planning application was refused.

The decision says:
“This building is non-designated heritage asset which is worthy of protection….No clear and convincing justification has been made by the applicant that this local heritage asset cannot be retained and reused. The proposed replacement building does not therefore result in a positive contribution. Accordingly, the development would fail to promote or reinforce local distinctiveness and rather, would be significantly detrimental to the character and appearance of the locality..”

I suppose the developers might appeal, or they may decide to go ahead with the development for which they have already got planning permission.
Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

For sale

Lease expires in January. Not sure how this compares with Alastair's recent statement "that they have a long renewable lease on the building which will work in their favour".

Pub website shows either Brandy or Melissa working on Wednesday to Friday next week.
FancyDancer
Can I have some £1 coins please?

Post by FancyDancer »

Doors locked and dead as a doornail at one o'clock in the afternoon last Thursday.

I don't know if that's significant or not.
pleasure_seeker

I’ve been keeping an eye on their website in Oct and Nov. In October they were updating the website with the names of dancers on each shift. The afternoon shifts seem to have almost disappeared. Mostly there were no dancers listed for the afternoon shift, occasionally one dancer. For the late shift usually three dancers listed Weds to Sat.
So far this month they have stopped putting up listings so it is hard to know how many dancers, if any, are on there.
relird
Make mine a D cup

Post by relird »

Try This website https://babewatchwycombe.com/ without the www.
pleasure_seeker

Yes, I know that website - but for last few weeks it hasn't shown anything on number of dancers or names. Maybe they will start updating it again at some point..let's hope so.
johnburgess

Post by johnburgess »

I was there at about 3:15pm on Friday 9th February and there was no dancing. The pub was open but all the signs had been removed.
So unless the dancing finished earlier I think the White Horse must no longer be a strip pub, which would be very sad.
pleasure_seeker

Thanks for the update.
I dropped by there briefly just after 1pm on a Saturday afternoon a couple of weeks ago - also no sign of any dancers then.
It could be that they have stopped having dancers in the daytime but still have them for the upstairs venue in the evening?
johnburgess

Post by johnburgess »

That's possible. Does anyone here have any more information?
Nick Bucks

Post by Nick Bucks »

In this weeks edition of the Bucks Free Press ( May 13 2022) Page 66 Statutory Public Notices Alcohol & Licensing there are details of an application made to Buckinghamshire Council by Alastair Watts for the renewal of the SEV Licence at The White Horse. Letters in Support/ Opposition to the council by June 3rd 2022.

I just love the fact that the statement about letters of opposition takes priority whilst mention of letters of support is an afterthought and of course the Council is happy to point out that under the Local Government (Access to Information) Act 1985 details of written representations can be made public and no doubt Buckinghamshire Council will take great pleasure in naming those who support the application . Whilst the councillors on the sub committee are entitled to their own views and to vote accordingly is it too much to expect that in publishing the application the Council should adopt a non-partisan approach. This is not so much a Statutory Notice as a clear pointer as to which way the Council is minded to act.
myngs

Post by myngs »

I called the White Horse last week to check on current status, and was told dancers in the evening only from 9pm. When I double checked about afternoons, he said "not through the summer".

Shame, used to be a good place to sneak out to of an afternoon.
cockedHat

Post by cockedHat »

Looks like the White Horse is still is business, although with reduced frequency.
There is a new improved website, which says that dancing in the main pub seems to be only on Wednesday evenings; and Friday and Saturday afternoons.
Evening shows take place in Bar 95 upstairs on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings.
There is a Christmas show on 16th December.
http://strippershighwycombe.co.uk/
pleasure_seeker

Streamdown Properties Ltd have submitted fresh plans to demolish the pub and replace it with a three-storey block of flats and office space.

White Horse High Wycombe has fresh plans to turn venue into flats
'The applicant argues plans should be approved as "the public house is not a designated Community Asset."
They believe plans should be approved on the basis that the new plans are "more traditional" and in keeping with the area and the flats would provide undercroft parking, bin and cycle stores "to reduce traffic congestion."

Agents working on behalf of the applicant, Streamdown Property Ltd, said: "The pub is a shadow of its former self and has lost customers, particularly in the last decade.
"It has no kitchen, offers no food except bar snacks and is purely a ‘wet’ trade.
"Given its setback position and dilapidated nature, it has become an eyesore for the local community.
"Its use as an adult entertainment venue for at least the last 20yrs is an unhappy relationship with its surroundings. Albeit offering some community benefit, such use serves an exceptional niche community.
"The market for such a facility is extremely limited, particularly in physical form and is perhaps better served elsewhere.
"Given the run-down appearance and shabby state of the interior, it is financially prohibitive to renovate it to its former glory." '
pleasure_seeker

Interview with Alistair Watts, of the White Horse
Bucks Free Press

'Pub landlord, Alistair Watts, has been at the helm of The White Horse for twenty years, and says the potential closure signals the "disappointing" loss of a unique establishment.'
johnburgess

Post by johnburgess »

Just been at the White Horse this afternoon. The dancer Summer turned up at 4 pm but normally the dancing would start at 3pm on a Friday.
Summer was tall, blonde and very attractive, but must have been rather disappointed to only have 2 customers up to 16:45 when I left. At least we were fairly lucrative; my fellow customer had two dances and I went mad and had 5.

They need all the support they can get so try and turn up if you can!
myngs

Post by myngs »

Good to know it's still going - used to go here frequently as the afternoons are perfect timing, but the website has shown the same rota for months (i.e. does not appear to be being updated) and for me it's a bit of trek just on the chance that they actually have dancers on.
steve_1973J
I like naked ladies

Post by steve_1973J »

Ring the pub and ask.
pleasure_seeker

They seem to have given up on the website. There are still dancers in the pub on most Fri and Sat from about 3pm to 6pm - but only 1 or 2 dancers per shift - and in the upstairs bar later on from 9pm.
myngs

Post by myngs »

Thanks for the info. Previous poster is right - I could get off my backside and phone them, but you'd think if they want to maximise customers updating the website is a no-brainer!
johnburgess

Post by johnburgess »

They are no longer having dancers on Fridays - the audience was just too small. When I went a few weeks ago there was only myself and one other guy for the dancers.
However, Saturday afternoon is continuing and Alastair says it is very popular and busy.
pleasure_seeker

Good to see that Bucks council have turned down the planning application to demolish the White Horse and turn it into flats. It was the bats wot won it (well, partly).

Proposal: Demolition of existing Public House and construction of apartment block comprising 8 x 2-bed flats...
The reason(s) for refusing application:
1. "The proposed development by reason of its scale and design fails to respect the character of the existing site and harmonise with other nearby developments..."
2. "In the opinion of the Local Planning Authority, the proposal fails to demonstrate that the development proposed could be constructed without having a detrimental impact upon bats, which are a protected species. The Preliminary Roost Assessment (PRA) submitted with the application identifies the site as having moderate potential for bats..."
3. "failure to demonstrate the methods of drainage are adequate to manage the anticipated level of surface water runoff resulting from this development proposal.."
4."insufficient information has been provided to demonstrate how a net gain in biodiversity can be achieved either on or off the site..."
steve_1973J
I like naked ladies

Post by steve_1973J »

The White horse is toast. Hanging up its g-strings on the 31st December.

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/2 ... emolition/
A pub in High Wycombe known for being the town’s only lap dancing venue has been saved from demolition but will nonetheless close its doors for good in just a few months.
The Great Smell Of Brute
"Nice arse!"

Post by The Great Smell Of Brute »

From the linked Bucks Free Press article:

"[Licensee] Alastair [Watts], who previously submitted an objection to the development plans citing the continued viability of the business as well as its 'positive contribution' to the area, said the pub’s closure has long been in the works, and, at 78 years old, he feels that the time has come to take a step back.

“'The White Horse was sold two years ago, and the new landlord agreed to let me stay on for that period, which ends on December 31. I’m 78 and I’ve worked here since 2001 – I would have got less for murder!'"

:lol: