XX CLOSED HP11 2LR White Horse, High Wycombe

Closed strip pubs and clubs south of the Watford Gap (but not inside the M25).
gnok
Appreciative connoisseur of female form

Re: ** HP11 2LR White Horse, High Wycombe

Post by gnok »

On my recent visit to London, I made a point of visiting all the surviving strip pubs within the M25 (all 11 of them! will post comments over the next week); My one expedition beyond the M25 was here, I visited on a Friday as the website suggested that there would be 4 girls on that day, as it turned out there were only 2, and punter numbers never exceeded 9, mostly up the pool table end of the bar, indeed I was there for around 2 hours and only spent £5 on jug collections! I did enjoy myself as I spent most of the time chatting with the 2 girls, who were happy to pass the time, Alistair was also there for a while so I reminisced with him over the good old days, I think he said he started at the pub 15 years ago, I certainly recall the pub before he was in charge of the girls.
It would be a shame to loose one of few remaining strip pubs, so I would urge others to visit and see for themselves if they enjoy themselves.
Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

Having made a big effort to be positive about the strip scene in general, I have to revert to negativity (or realism) about the WHHW, which is caught in a downward spiral of fewer customers, fewer girls, fewer customers. Just three dancers listed for today, compared with six or seven a few years ago. One girl is scheduled to remain for the evening session upstairs in Bar 95, where she'll be joined by three others, but a customer has to kick his heels around High Wycombe for three hours or more to catch both shifts.

With nearby rival venues in Henley, Reading and Hayes having closed, and with the one in Oxford now offering mostly burlesque, one might have hoped that the White Horse would have picked up some extra business but it appears not to have done so. But how far does the average customer travel to visit a strip pub? And if only two or three girls are going to be there ...

GNOK notes that on his visit "punter numbers never exceeded 9, mostly up the pool table end of the bar", and a feature of my very few visits in the past three years has been more people in the pool table section (where the jug does not go) than nearer to the stage. Some lurk for a free, if distant, view of the stage shows.

It's all a pity, as I have happy memories of the White Horse, its girls and its ambience.

It appears that the rumoured plan for the Irish dancer to take over management of the dancing side of the pub has come to nothing.
Scallywag

Post by Scallywag »

Yes it is a shame. I rarely get the chance to go there, but I did have a couple of opportunities recently and decided against it. I couldn't justify to myself the long journey to see 2/3 girls who I may / may not like, when I could see 30+ girls in an afternoon in Shoreditch.

I wonder if it may be worth changing their 'modus operandi', to maybe a shift of 3 girls up to 4pm then a second shift of 3/4 girls until Bar 95 opens in the evening. Similar to the hours operated by the Victoria.

I know this may sound like flogging a dead horse, so to speak, but maybe this would entice more punters to make the trip.
Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

Scallywag wrote:... I know this may sound like flogging a dead horse, so to speak, but maybe this would entice more punters to make the trip.
I wonder how many people travel far just to visit a strip pub? Jonah says he lives two hours from Shoreditch; last night it took me 105 minutes from the Axe to my front door, but that wad due to boarding a train two minutes before it left London and then having a very fortuitous local connection.

How many other inveterate strip-pub customers are there who would travel such distances? Mind you, it's only 23 minutes from Marylebone to High Wycombe, though it then probably takes 25 minutes to walk from the station to the White Horse the other side of town.

(By the way, thanks to GNOK for his series of updates on strip pubs - all very interesting.)
nobby

Post by nobby »

well from leaving my last strip pub to getting home takes me at best 2.5 hours, sometimes 3 hours.It will typically involve 2 buses and 1 train. Same of course in the morning so around 5 hours each day I come up.
Scallywag

Post by Scallywag »

Victor23 wrote:How many other inveterate strip-pub customers are there who would travel such distances? Mind you, it's only 23 minutes from Marylebone to High Wycombe, though it then probably takes 25 minutes to walk from the station to the White Horse the other side of town.
I can't complain as it takes me around an hour for me to get to Shoreditch. I used to travel around more, to Northwood, Hayes and v occasionally Wycombe, but of course many of the outer London pubs no longer exist. I think as well the 'usp' of the outer London pubs was the more up close walkabout and PDs available which made the journey worthwhile. With the councils clamping down on the closeness of the PDs, I found it wasn't worth the journey.
Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

Memory Lane on the

White Horse Gallery of dancers

It's as dated as that for the other White Horse, in Shoreditch, and some of the photos are almost ten years old.

The order of the photos seems to be different every time I access the page, but the blonde in the white g-string staring at the camera is the classy Russian Helena - who also features on the other White Horse gallery. A lovely girl.

Time was when could access full-size versions of the photos, rather than thumbnails, and I printed off a couple to bring back memories when I'm further into my dotage.

I can recall by name ten of the 18 girls and have happy memories of all but two. I think that only two are still working - and today one is unrecognisable from her photo.
Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

Friday, December 23, is the date for the White Horse Christmas show. At present the

pub's website

lists just five girls, but in previous years this has grown to ten or so.

I haven't been to the pub this year, but word has it that most afternoons have been "quiet", often with only two or three dancers being listed on the rota. So the 23rd is an opportunity to see a good range of dancers. (Six are also named for this Saturday, the 17th.)

There may be a £5 entry fee on the 23rd (though in the past regulars have been given a "free entry" ticket).

My own recollections are of a relaxed atmosphere, with girls happy to chat and pleasant bar staff. It would be interesting to see someone else's opinion.
Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

Now Friday's rota is up to seven girls, with several popular ones, including Petra, whose face is as photogenic as Pantera's - who's never danced at High Wycombe. A while ago Ali told me that he didn't employ dancers over 35 because they had lost their sparkle; he obviously had never met Pantera (nor Spanish Lola or Ukrainian Lana, late of the Nags).

Petra has a lookalike at the Axe, Crystal, who was the first girl to talk to me there when I started my current series of visits. In fact at first I thought it was Petra.
Scallywag

Post by Scallywag »

Victor23 wrote:A while ago Ali told me that he didn't employ dancers over 35 because they had lost their sparkle...
Can't agree with the blanket over 35 ban. In many cases, possibly most, a dancer may indeed have lost her sparkle, but very short sighted to completely dismiss all girls of a certain age.
Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

Now nine girls for tomorrow, making a visit more tempting than usual. I've a family commitment so can't make it, but I hope someone else from UTK will and will report here.
tryed again
I like naked ladies

Post by tryed again »

Scallywag wrote: Can't agree with the blanket over 35 ban. In many cases, possibly most, a dancer may indeed have lost her sparkle, but very short sighted to completely dismiss all girls of a certain age.
Couldn't agree more about the short-sightedness of a blanket ban, but not necessarily about the loss of sparkle! Apart from being ageist discrimination (if the industry were regulated like other employers), age brings experience and depth of personality to add to visual charms.
Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

Just found

this old ad

for new dancers on Gumtree.

Time was when word of mouth would have sufficed to have ensured sufficient girls.

Pity no one recently has ventured into South Buckinghamshire and made an up-to-date report on this long-established strip pub. Last year I had no other reason to visit High Wycombe, so never got around to going there.

I do see one WHHW girl elsewhere and she still seems happy to trek frequently from London so it must be OK for her.
Richard
Anatomy student

Post by Richard »

Victor23 wrote:A while ago Ali told me that he didn't employ dancers over 35 because they had lost their sparkle
I have the impression that his management style is rather idiosyncratic, including an apparent belief that he is a better judge of dancer quality than the customers whose judgement is manifested in expenditure of their hard-earned money. Sparkle is a rare commodity, and the star performers who have it in abundance also have a timeless quality that makes them good value at any age, anywhere: they should be treasured, rather than subjected to the vagaries of arbitrary managerial diktat.
Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

A few years ago, most of the girls at the WHHW were very attractive, but then most of the Brazilians left and the quality deteriorated. As with other venues, the afternoons became quieter and dancers were less willing to spend time and money travelling out of London.

I don't know how busy Bar 95 is above the pub, but there's been a reduction in the number of evenings it's open, Unless a dancer has a car or lives locvally, returning home means an expensive taxi ride if they do not stay in a nearby b & b.

As for management believing it is a better judge of dancers' quality than customers, most of us deprecate the abundance of silicone at two London pubs with their preference for big boobs.
Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

It's ten years since I started going to strip pubs, and the WHHW was the first. (I'd heard about it some months before, but waited for the smoking ban to start on July 1 before visiting it.) Great days, great girls - four, five or six of the latter on most afternoons, and some were memorable.

Having (most unusually for me) two or three empty days this week , I did wonder about trekking out to mark the decennial but the website promised only one or two girls on most afternoons - except yesterday, when four were originally listed. I couldn't think of another reason to head out to High Wycombe, so had a boring time at home. Late in the afternoon, I checked the rota again to see if any more dancers had been added for today or tomorrow; none had been, but I noticed that Wednesday's rota had been cut to two girls. Just three are listed for this evening in Bar95, above the pub.

Sign of the times, I'm afraid.

Today I'm off to London, but with few expectations, as several of my favourites at the Axe are away; at least the reliable Pantera is listed at the Nag's.
cockedHat
Can I have some £1 coins please?

Post by cockedHat »

Ventured out to the WHHW yesterday afternoon, (purely in the interests of research you understand)!

Three girls were listed on the website, but only two were actually present, which was a disappointment. There was a good demand for PDs from the small group of customers. As a result, sometimes there was no dancing on the stage for a while, since the girls were busy in the private dance area.

The girls were attractive, both girls did several good stage dances and the PDs were up to the usual WHHW standard, so an enjoyable afternoon. A few years ago, there would have been more girls on shift which would have made it even better. A general sign that the golden years of the strip pub have passed?
Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

The birthplace of Kings of Leon

Not that I've ever heard of the Kings of Leon ...
Chris4fun

Post by Chris4fun »

My second post.
As I said in my first post I haven't been to any strips pubs for sometime(few years) but used to go to the White Horse and always liked it there.
I went to the White Horse on a Friday afternoon about a month ago and it was nowhere like as busy as it used to be but I guess that’s a sign of the times reading other posts here. Anyway with the few punters(4-5) it was ok and I had a really nice chat with a couple of the dancers one only had a little English but did her best but one was English and I had a really nice chat with her. I had two nice dances at £20 each. It also hasn’t change at all from what I can remember.

I went back this Friday evening after going to the Flags and got there about 11.45pm so it was the Bar95 bit upstairs. I'd never been to the Bar95 but it’s nice up there although they make sure you are aware of the rules no taking your phones out etc. The layout was nice and there were about 4-10 people while I was there including a couple (which I later found out from one of the dancers) was the ladies idea who only stayed for a couple of dance. A couple of dancers from the other month where there including the English one I’d chat to a bit after a small reminder she remembered me and we had a nice chat again and I wasn’t pestered to much for a private dance from any of them which is always nice.

A nice evening/afternoon all in all and I'll be back again soon.
Chris4fun

Post by Chris4fun »

Another visit to the White Horse tonight only two girls on Nicole and Larissa and not very busy. Had a nice chat with Nicole once again she's really easy to chat to and will chat about most things. Had a nice private dance as well.
There were a few punters trying to get a free view of the shows from the other bar which I feel is not fair on the dancers and after all its only a £1 in the pot.
I also got a ticket for their Christmas show on the 22nd December which promises 10 dancers so could be good.
Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

Just wondering if Nicole is the Australian I met earlier this year?

(I usually twitch when other people ask this sort of question, as the answers are often varied and inconclusive, but ...)

She's one of two girls so far named on the rota for the Christmas show on Friday the 23rd, and no doubt the number will grow. I didn't bother to go last year, but the two previous years there was the problem that Chris mentions, of people lurking at the other end of the room where the jug isn't taken; had two or three of them ventured closer to the stage the entertainment would have started much earlier.

Bag-bearers note: two years ago I was courteously asked to leave my bag behind the bar.
Chris4fun

Post by Chris4fun »

Nicole isn’t Australian but is British has long blonde curly hair.
I was give a ticket for the Christmas do last night and when chatting to Nicole there will be most if not all of their regular girls there although that won’t make 10 but should at least make up half the numbers so I guess they might need to get some other girls in from somewhere else.
Was also told they aren’t allowed to collect past the arch even though punters can watch and some do, it does annoy the ladies and I don’t blame them.
Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

Thanks for that, Chris. Pity, I was very impressed by Australian Nicole in what appears to have been her very brief foray into stripping.

A few years ago I noticed Ali (the landlord) tell off a new girl for taking the jug beyond the end of the bar. When I was a regular at the White Horse, very few guys lurked there (two or three being content with the pool table), but reluctance to put a £1 in the jug does seem to be a feature of the Christmas do.

UTK's page, "Rota for most pubs/agencies", still refers to a "seemingly unlimited rota" at the WHHW, but your remark confirms my impression from occasional glances at the pub's website that nowadays there's only half-a-dozen regular dancers.

Only Eleanor and Alice are listed for tomorrow and Saturday...
Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

Chris4fun wrote: ... I was give a ticket for the Christmas do last night and when chatting to Nicole there will be most if not all of their regular girls there although that won’t make 10 but should at least make up half the numbers so I guess they might need to get some other girls in from somewhere else...
Well, the Christmas do is tomorrow, but only two girls named on the website rota - and there was just one for today, and indeed for the previous three days (when it was Melissa). For some time now I've wondered whether there really are so few girls on a shift or whether the rota just isn't updated.

I've been very vaguely thinking of going over to High Wycombe tomorrow, especially if I recognised any names from when I was regular there, but ...

My recollection of the event in previous years is that it was popular with the local building industry. I'll be interested to see Chris's report.
Chris4fun

Post by Chris4fun »

Just found out there should be 8 girls there tomorrow I’ll more than likely pop along at some point.