XX CLOSED SG5 1AE Penthouse, Hitchin

Closed strip pubs and clubs south of the Watford Gap (but not inside the M25).
zante
Site Admin

XX CLOSED SG5 1AE Penthouse, Hitchin

Post by zante »

The Penthouse, Hitchin
Full address: 3B Sun Street, Hitchin, Hertfordshire SG5 1AE
01582 480100
2 girls, Wed: 9pm-2am.
I discovered the opening night too late to attend so my first visit was last week, Wednesday 5th May 2004 and I arrived at 10pm, one hour after it should have started. The doorman said "You're the first one in," much to my surprise.

You go up a carpeted stairway with mirrors either side and pay your fiver entrance fee at the reception, before moving into the club. The huge private area (comfy seats along the wall) is netted off in front of you along the left wall. There are a few very low tables and low stools in the middle for viewing the jug shows from and to the right is the stage (about 10ft by 5ft), but the girls were walking about quite a bit. The DJ is a bit to the right of the stage (there's a videoscreen on the wall, showing R'n'B all night) and a cordoned off bar behind him. In the far right hand corner is a more comfortable seating area and the bar is against the far wall facing you as you come in.

Whilst not expecting any real ale (I know that you either get real ale or dancers, but never both) I was horrified to find even the hideous John Smiths was off (I was driving, but even a pint would have been nice). So I drank lemonade and lime served in plastic cups (like out of a coffee vending machine) at a pound a cup!

The girls were friendly and Julie K spent a very long time talking to me while waiting for punters to arrive. It was sadly so devoid of punters that the first stage spot was at 2340 (if my recall is correct), although I had been tempted into my first private dance before then. One girl had already left before I arrived due to the distinct lack of punters and another seemed to follow her as well partway through the night.

Dances were £20 for a full nude or £10 for topless - I think mention was also made of a £10 table dance. The topless were very good value as, despite the lighting being very good compared to some venues, there were ceiling spots behind the girls creating a shadow where it really mattered! The dances were all very good (I tested out three girls), with the degree of closeness varying between the girls.

I left at 0130 but there were still only about a dozen punters at most during the night. Hopefully word will get around and this should become a good venue: the next two weeks lineups are already listed on the website. There are loads of car parks around the area with free evening parking, Can't remember the name of the one I ended up in, but it is off Queen Street, by the market and is only a short walk away. The club is at the Market Square end of Sun Street.

Will definitely be returning once I have finances to do so!

[Harry J, 11th May 2004]
Last edited by zante on Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TS_Jabroni
Front row perv

Post by TS_Jabroni »

Pretty sure that this closed ages ago. Looked for it in around 2005 and couldn't find it anywhere.
The Great Smell Of Brute
"Nice arse!"

Re: XX CLOSED SG5 1AE Penthouse, Hitchin

Post by The Great Smell Of Brute »

This is now the Sun Hotel, owned / run by Greene King.
pleasure_seeker
Appreciative connoisseur of female form

Post by pleasure_seeker »

Excellent work in updating all these threads, Brute..
But this one doesn't look right
The Great Smell Of Brute wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:41 am This is now the Sun Hotel, owned / run by Greene King.
The Sun Hotel has been there for centuries, literally, but I'm pretty sure the club was in the building next door (3b rather than 3).
On Google maps it can be seen most of the ground floor is a Ladbrokes with the door for the club on the far end, painted to look like an old red telephone box.

My recollection is that, after the strippers finished, it carried on as a club under various names. Most recently as the Speakeasy (explains the telephone box) which is, it seems, still operating.
Speakeasy Facebook Page
The Great Smell Of Brute
"Nice arse!"

Post by The Great Smell Of Brute »

Thank you for that info, pleasure_seeker - I stand corrected, and it was indeed what's now the Speakeasy!