Scotland consultations

Strip pubs and clubs in the Central belt
TonyN
Dearly departed

Scotland consultations

Post by TonyN »

Seems the Scottish clubs are likely to be viewed as SEVs soon. However I am particularly concerned about Glasgow as the council their previously commissioned the mockery of a report by Bindel. I remember 54 errors or holes in the report not including the unethical way the report was done. Anyone from north of the border supporting clubs needs to get the clubs to gather support from the dancers and especially from the customers. Whilst I personally have a distaste for template letters the fact is that clubs need to be supporting their customers in sending the right message.

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glas ... t-16135006
TonyN
Dearly departed

Re: Scotland Consultation.

Post by TonyN »

To add to it Glasgow are looking to go club free. They know they can block new venues but there seems to be a worry about closing existing clubs. We are probably seeing the last of new venues. We may get a few more but I doubt it. The Scottish clubs need to be getting every guy who turns up to fight these idiotic councillors.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scot ... k-16251804
The Great Smell Of Brute
"Nice arse!"

Post by The Great Smell Of Brute »

Well, well - the usual suspects are reciting the usual cliches!

I have but two words to add to this discussion: Tower Hamlets. :wink:
TonyN
Dearly departed

Post by TonyN »

Great minds.

Okay this is a write in via email or letter type consultation. So if you travel to Glasgow or live or work etc write in. If you may travel on business or holidays to the city I am sure your opinion will matter.

LicensingEnquiries@glasgow.gov.uk

Just in case anyone has the urge.
TonyN
Dearly departed

Post by TonyN »

People speak out, unfortunately behind the times paywall but you can sign up to two free articles a week.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/axin ... -j0bq2zqxz
The Great Smell Of Brute
"Nice arse!"

A petition has been started by the Empowered Woman Project, opposing the current attempt to close all of Glasgow's clubs:

https://www.change.org/p/glasgow-city-c ... ent-venues

The petition names Sandra White MSP as the figurehead of the 'anti' campaign:

"The brainchild of one Sandra White MSP, over the last 15 years has been to launch public consultation after public consultation in attempts to close down Glasgow’s adult entertainment venues.

The latest is an ongoing consultation which ends in August seeking to license the clubs in a way which could see them closed down for good.

When I was on national TV a few days ago debating the issue with Sandra, she said she hadn’t engaged with dancers many years ago when they petitioned for her to meet with them because she didn’t 'believe' it came from the girls themselves.

What she fails to acknowledge time and time again is that dancers in Glasgow’s adult entertainment venues are happy, safe and want to keep their jobs! Workers within the clubs are also becoming unionised with GMB union.

There are around 700 dancers working across Scotland and it’s time she asked them! I want to live in a Scotland which is progressive and recognises the right of a woman to have autonomy over her own body."

Needless to say, I've already signed it.
TonyN
Dearly departed

Post by TonyN »

I have signed it as well. It needs all the support it can get. The more names the more weight. If we lose a whole city others like Leeds wont be far behind. Then how long till the London venues fall? Better to fight now than leave it and find the industry in a vacuum.
The Great Smell Of Brute
"Nice arse!"

Dancers will be protesting against the proposal to close every strip club in Glasgow later today, in George Square:

Strippers to protest on streets of Glasgow tomorrow over move to ban lap-dancing clubs (Daily Record, 21/06/19)

The petition apparently has over 3000 signatures!
The Great Smell Of Brute
"Nice arse!"

Ask The 700 is a campaign organised by dancers, in association with the GMB, to oppose attempts to impose a 'nil' policy on Glasgow:

#AskThe700 website

#AskThe700 on Facebook

#AskThe700 on Twitter

Information about the ongoing consultation can be found here:

https://www.askthe700.org/consultation

From the website:

"This campaign has been an emotional one so far. Jobs are on the line for many women who have few other options which will replicate their earnings and flexibility. Losing their jobs will mean less time with their children, living on the breadline, going on the dole and detrimental effects on their mental health and wellbeing will be in some cases unsurmountable. Homes will be lost, debts accrued, kids pulled out of schools as their family moves to a more affordable area or miles away so their Mother can work to keep them afloat. These are real people, real jobs, real consequences. We take this extremely seriously and we ask that you do too.

When this campaign began we organised. It was not easy. There was resistance because there was fear. Fear of being outed, fear or reprisals, fear of being spoken over, ignored and losing. Politicians like Sandra White silenced dancers into hiding behind managers for many years, afraid to speak out for their livelihoods - what other industry is like this? None. Many workers just upped and left Glasgow rather than face this fight and we can’t blame them. It is fraught with tension between polarised sides of the debate.

We organised to be heard. We were heard by GMB. This gave us the confidence and strength to demand that no decisions were ever made without our consent and that we would always be involved in anything which would affect us. GMB empowered us with this voice and via GMB we have been included in evidence sessions for this public consultation - a monumental first. Finally we can speak and women in this industry are coming out in their droves no longer afraid.

This has been a real test of our resilience in the face of controversy and we have definitely grown closer and stronger as a result.

We have one goal and one goal only - to keep our jobs in the industry we chose."
The Great Smell Of Brute
"Nice arse!"

The Great Smell Of Brute
"Nice arse!"

Ask The 700 will be hosting a stand in George Square, Glasgow today and for the next two Saturdays from 1:00 to 3:00 pm, where they'll be handing out information about the ongoing consultation and answering questions:

https://www.askthe700.org/upcoming-events

More information about the consultation can also be found here:

https://www.askthe700.org/consultation
TonyN
Dearly departed

Post by TonyN »

It seems both Glasgow and Not Buying It are using the old Julie Bindel research. Been torn apart before but everyone who has no clue about the industry cite Bindel as an expert. Got my gander up so to speak.
The Great Smell Of Brute
"Nice arse!"

Time to get more than your gander up, TonyN - it's debunking time again! :wink:
TonyN
Dearly departed

Post by TonyN »

What is annoying is there were two previous articles on Bindel and her research. I have just finished screen shooting one PDF from NBI which I hope to publish this weekend including linking back to Bindel can't do research stuff we did previous. And some other current stuff. I challenge Bindel last time to defend her document at which time she just ignored me.

We will go again!
Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

The Great Smell Of Brute
"Nice arse!"

The BBC, at the cutting edge of current affairs! :lol:
The Great Smell Of Brute
"Nice arse!"

Mind you, the Scottish government itself appears to be behind the cultural curve in this matter, and could probably save a lot of time and spadework by simply studying the effects and criticism of the Police and Crime Act 2009.
TonyN
Dearly departed

Post by TonyN »

Edinburgh is an online form and filled it in as a visitor to the city that would stop bringing tourist pounds to the city if the clubs close. All you need is an email address ans sharp eyes where the questions change from negative to positive answers. Read carefully before answering.
Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

The Great Smell Of Brute
"Nice arse!"

From the Courier article linked to above:

'Tony Cochrane, who runs Private Eyes on Rattray Street, said he had no fears his Dundee club will be shut down as a result of the consultation.

He said: “I think people misread what is in the consultation. Currently councils have no powers to set the number of clubs.

“There is no suggestion they (Dundee City Council) want to set the limit at zero but if they did want to go down that route there is certain criteria that would need to be met.

“They would need to justify coming up with that number.

“This has been in the pipeline for a few years. We’ve spoken to our lawyers and we know what our rights are.”'

I daresay his lawyers are probably familiar with the SEV licensing fiasco in Tower Hamlets circa 2011-13! :lol:
Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

Senior councillor calls for Aberdeen strip club limit ahead of consultation

I can't work out what Peter Dow is going on about in his comment.

EDIT:more on his blog

Scroll to 20 February 2018.

Peter seems, shall we say, a bit intense.
The Great Smell Of Brute
"Nice arse!"

There's always someone who wants to make it all about themselves, isn't there? :roll:
TonyN
Dearly departed

Post by TonyN »

He doesn't seem to be totally coherent. He mentions feminazis and seems to claim he is a radical feminist. Sandwich short of a picnic springs to mind.
TonyN
Dearly departed

Post by TonyN »

Interesting article on two faced government.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/178 ... dreamboys/