** EH3 9DJ Baby Dolls (was Hooters), Edinburgh

Strip pubs and clubs in the Central belt
pleasure_seeker
Appreciative connoisseur of female form

** EH3 9DJ Baby Dolls (was Hooters), Edinburgh

Post by pleasure_seeker »

In Edinburgh for a few days on a work trip, I had a little free time to check out the strip clubs of the Tollcross area and try a couple of them. There are three strip clubs: Burke & Hare, Hooters and Western Bar facing each other as the points of a triangle in High Riggs (Edinburgh’s well-known ‘pubic triangle’). Less than 5 minutes walk away are two more establishments almost next to each other on Lothian Road, namely Sapphire Room and Bottoms Up Show Bar; also nearby are Fantasy Palace (Shandwick Place) and Liquorice Club (Home Rd). Visited two of these: Burke and Hare (see separate post) and Hooters.

When I arrived at Hooters it was rammed, 40 lads up from northern England for a stag night, could hardly breathe at first in there, but they moved on after a while giving me a chance to look around. A longish bar takes up much of the space, a mirrored stage with pole at the end nearest the door, and a separate room for the private dances, behind a curtain. Back home in London, I prefer pubs rather than clubs and avoid the upmarket clubs, and I felt quite comfortable here (once the stag party had left). It was a bit smarter than the rather grungy Burke and Hare, but not an upmarket place.

Unfortunately, a basic problem soon became apparent - there were not many girls, I think four in total. One of the dancers told me that several of the girls who normally work there had phoned in sick. This meant the place was pretty flat. The girls who were working were ok, reasonably attractive, not particularly memorable. There were very few stage dances – maybe one an hour – and the performances were lacklustre. Also one of the charms of a strip venue is seeing lots of attractive girls walking around in their underwear, while you sip your beer and make up your mind which one you will choose next for a private dance. But at times there were none or only one girl visible in the main bar, the others on private dance duty or perhaps outside on a cigarette break.

The private dance area was a small room with a couple of sofas for the customers. For £10 you got a quite good, if rather short, lapdance. A £20 dance was essentially the same, but longer duration. I had dances with three of the girls and they were all perfectly competent but less fun than the ones in the Burke and Hare. Although all the girls were pleasant enough, having had a few PDs and with no stage dances didn’t seem worth staying longer, so headed for the exit, feeling somewhat underwhelmed.

Don’t want to generalise too much on the basis of only one visit, and the place did have some plus points – the PDs were ok and only a tenner, the bar staff were fine, the girls I spoke to said it was a decent place to work, and there are good and not-so-good nights at most venues. Perhaps on another night Hooters would be better, but this time it was fairly dull and disappointing.

I should add entry fee is £5 and website is here:
http://www.hootersshowbar.com/hooters_show_bar.htm
The Great Smell Of Brute
"Nice arse!"

Baby Dolls, 2-4 Lauriston St, Edinburgh

Post by The Great Smell Of Brute »

Sister venue to Glasgow's Diamond Dolls, now known as (No. 1 Showbar) Baby Dolls:-

No. 1 Showbar Baby Dolls
2/4 Laurieston Street
Edinburgh
EH3 9DJ

Telephone: 0131 228 9996

The Great Smell Of Brute
"Nice arse!"

Re: ** EH3 9DJ Baby Dolls (was Hooters), Edinburgh

Post by The Great Smell Of Brute »

Retweeted earlier today by Roz Hardie, CEO of Object Now:
Object tweets 141110.jpg
Object tweets 141110.jpg (56.06 KiB) Viewed 7538 times
Says a great deal about her / their mentality...
pleasure_seeker
Appreciative connoisseur of female form

Re: ** EH3 9DJ Baby Dolls (was Hooters), Edinburgh

Post by pleasure_seeker »

I gave this place a try out of curiosity recently, having visited its predecessor some years ago.

It looks very different now. Some money has been spent on the lighting, not so much perhaps on the décor which seemed a bit spartan.

Essentially a small, fairly generic, lap dance club. £5 entry fee. A bar along the right hand side as you enter and the private dance area off to the left.

The club opens at 7pm but only gets busy after midnight, I was told. It was about 9pm when I visited and the place was thinly populated. Just one group of young lads, boisterous but not offensive, and a handful of slightly older customers.

Drinks are at reasonable prices e.g. bottles of beer from about £3.

The dancers were generally young and quite attractive. There were maybe 8 or 9 of them. Of those I spoke to, 1 was from Italy, 1 from Spain, and a few from eastern Europe.

One girl explained the available options to me. Private dances are £10 for one song, £20 for two. There were various options for spending time in the VIP area, buying bottles of champagne etc but afraid I tuned out at this point and can’t now remember the details. A bottle of champagne was £140, I think.

Girls were pleasant to talk to and not overly pushy for private dances.

I sampled a few £20 private dances with the long-legged beauty from Spain and a curvy brunette from Poland. The private dance area does not have curtains or booths so is not that private. Also a hard floor which can’t be too comfortable for the girl rolling around on it.

Towards the front of the club there is a small circular podium with a pole presumably for ‘stage’ shows but I didn’t see any during the time I was there.

Overall, it was an enjoyable enough way to spend an hour if a little unmemorable. I preferred the other places nearby – Western Bar and Burke & Hare – which each seemed to be offering, in their different ways, something more distinctive. Given these other options I doubt that I would return here but others, who prefer this type of club, might like it.