XX CLOSED FY1 5PY Claudia's, Blackpool

Closed strip pubs and clubs north of the Watford Gap.
zante
Site Admin

XX CLOSED FY1 5PY Claudia's, Blackpool

Post by zante »

POLICE were today investigating a Blackpool nightspot after a 16-year-old schoolgirl got a job as a lap dancer.

The teenager's mother was horrified to discover her daughter had spent more than four hours dancing at Claudia's, an adult entertainment venue on Central Drive.
Officers from Blackpool Police's licensing team have now launched an investigation into the allegations.
The Blackpool girl claims she was never asked for ID and today told The Gazette: "I'm ashamed by what I've done – I feel dirty."
But the club insists the girl showed a passport and claimed to be 19 and an experienced dancer.

Owner Claudia Spotswood said she had no reason to suspect the girl was under 18 and was devastated to discover she was in fact a minor.
The girl's mother, who we have agreed not to name to protect the identity of her daughter, believed the girl was working at a town centre pub.
But having checked with the licensee, the girl's mum realised they did not intentionally employ under 18s and her daughter must have lied.
It was a family friend who filled her in on the shocking details.
The mum said: "I'm just furious with my daughter and I'm furious with the club, they didn't ask her for her age or for a national insurance number.
"She'd been lying to me about where she was going at night and who she was with.
"Her father is just disgusted with her too. He feels embarrassed and is making sure she won't be going out into Blackpool again anytime soon."
The teenager, who still attends a school in the resort, says she went into Claudia's on the last Bank Holiday Saturday. She said: "Some friends of mine had been working there for a while but they were 18.
"I didn't know it was illegal to work as a lap dancer under the age of 18 and the management never asked me my age or for any proof of age so I just did as I was told and copied the others.
"I feel bad on my mum now. I'm embarrassed and ashamed by what I've done. I just wanted to save up some money, but now I'd just warn others to get a proper job if they want some money, don't do what I did. I just feel dirty."

But Ms Spotswood insists she did ask the girl for ID and was shown the passport of a 19-year-old which bore a resemblance to the girl and told us the name she was given.
But when she was informed by The Gazette of the teenager's real name, Ms Spotswood said she was shocked.
"I am horrified, I can't blame the mother for being upset, I am a mother myself," she said.
"I asked the girl for ID and she showed me a passport which looked like her with darker hair, but she said she had dyed it. I could kick myself for not photocopying it.
"She had the costumes and all the confidence in the world. I've never known a 16-year-old with such confidence.
"I asked if she had danced before and she said yes at another Blackpool bar which has changed hands so I couldn't check with the management.
"The girls are all self employed. I take a commission at the end of the night, except the first night.

"I let her come in for a working audition and checked on her a few times, but then she disappeared and I didn't see her again.
"The first I knew about all this was when I had the police at my door. This is the first time this has happened to me in 20 years in the business and I have learned my lesson. No more working auditions."

PC Steve Hardman, from the Blackpool Police licensing unit, confirmed an investigation was under way involving allegations of an underage dancer at Claudia's.

He said: "We are investigating a complaint of this nature. Our inquiry is in the very early stages and I cannot comment further."
Blackpool Council's licensing department has also been informed.
A spokeswoman said: "We can confirm that we are currently investigating an allegation of an underage girl working at a lap dancing club."
Last edited by zante on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zante
Site Admin

Post by zante »

That copy came from the newspapers in April, by June, Claudia herself released the following statement, and reopened for business.

'We would like to state that we as an company donot condone the actions of the under age individual who secured work at our premises recently and due to this person actions we would like to confirm we are now perusing this through the county courts.
Not only to show that what this young person did was illegal but very stupid and very irresponsible. This Also sends out a clear message to all young persons and parents that whilst we support our local community this type of behavior is not acceptable and will not be tolerated. As a parent, myself i would like to draw to the attention of all young people and parents that breaking the law is sending out the wrong message to other youngsters. This action caused stress upset and financial loss to our company and good name and almost my lively hood. However, more so made me concerned that parents were allowing there child out until four am or later. Whilst not knowing there were about or even if they were safe nor in this instance did they even bother to check.
Which could have left there child in a vownbul and in a dangerous situation
Due to this incident, steps have been put in place to stop this happening again in my premises with the aid and support of the police and local authority I cannot speak for other premises but would hope they would now take the necessary steps needed to ensure the same.'

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Claudia's is to lose its licence following problems with age verification:

click