Chesterfield

Strip pubs and clubs in Greater Manchester, Merseyside, Cheshire, Cumbria and Lancashire.
zante
Site Admin

Chesterfield

Post by zante »

Churchman's fury at move to open lap-dancing club
An outraged minister has blasted plans for a naked lap-dancing club fearing it could spark a red light district on the doorstep of his church. Businessman Mike Hyman has submitted an application to open Chesterfield's first lap and table dancing venue at Buddy's Diner on Soresby Street. But Rose Hill United Reformed Church is across the road from the venue and its minister, Rev Stephen Sawyer, said: "Certainly in Soresby Street it would be sleazy.

"If there is any vestige of respect for the church or what the church struggles to stand for there would be no entertainment of this type at all. If there is a place for this kind of enterprise, which is at least arguably degrading to both men and women, then it belongs in Soho or the red light district of cities and it is just as degrading there." Mr Sawyer added: "Chesterfield is not Soho, and simply as a resident I do not want to see Chesterfield develop a red light district, whether in my backyard or elsewhere."

The application is for three nights lap dancing a week, with music and comedy entertainment on three other evenings at the 50-seater restaurant. Mr Sawyer whose comments are in a letter of objection to the entertainment licence application on behalf of the church fears the bar would bring vandalism, an increase in noise levels, and create a litter problem.

But Mr Hyman, insists it would be an upmarket venue and says Mr Sawyer's claims are 'crazy'. "I would be glad to meet the reverend at Buddy's and discuss the plans thoroughly with him. It is not just a lap-dancing club. "It is tongue-in-cheek entertainment based on stag and hen nights what people do every week of their lives," Mr Hyman said. He added: "It is crazy. He is making his own judgment on something he has not seen. It is nothing like he is portraying it."

Chesterfield Borough Council has received 30 letters of objection and a petition against the application. There were no representations in support. A date is yet to be fixed for it to be heard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------