** Sheffield review

Strip pubs and clubs in Co. Durham, Northumberland, Tyne & Wear and Yorkshire.
zante
Site Admin

** Sheffield review

Post by zante »

From the archives:

ooOOoo

Sheffield
Shooters (Station Road, Masborough, Rotherham near the football ground) has dancers Sunday lunchtimes starting at 2.00pm. There is a small admission charge. As seems the norm nowadays, the venue faced objections from the local church which is situated right across the round and there are some press cuttings on display on the wall with the journalists art - headline "Storm in a D-Cup" clear to see. Apparently a sign "Christ is Risen Today" was countered with "Strippers this Easter Sunday" - anyway despite objections the shows were allowed to go ahead.

Unfortunately it appears that technology hasn't yet reached the area and the artistes appear to have to strip to numbers from the jukebox (now where have I seen that before). The inability to provide a compact disc player for one girl to do her routine and her subsequent exit meant that we were treated to just the one girl strip but there are normally two girls each Sunday.

Mega
18th May, 2003

The death of the strip pub in Sheffield is announced. Ma Bakers closed its doors in November leaving the city with no strip pubs though lap dancing clubs are still available.

Mega
12th February, 2003

Spearmint Rhino hit Sheffield {in Brown street next door to the defunct Museum of Popular Music near Hallam Uni} in the week leading up to Christmas operating on a temporary licence until the end of January. The threats of demos etc seem to have faded but the word on the street is that they are currently having trouble getting enough girls and it's not been that busy.

Ron tells me that Dancing Dollar has not been affected to date and had a very succesful Christmas. He is still looking to open a place in Doncaster although the move to Bacchus has fallen through he is looking at 2 other places in the town.

Although Goodfella's {the old Dog and Partridge} looks pretty disused at present I am told that work is progressing well and they hope to be open by late March/early April.

Tyke
17th January, 2003

Visited Dancing Dollar for the first time last night and can only echo Mega's comments. This is a good straight operation and well worth a visit if your in the area. It's smart inside rather than " Spearmint " plush and is aimed more at normal people rather than " high rollers " (i.e. it sells reasonable draft beer at the bar) swigging champagne. Early in the week that have 8 to 10 girls on, on Friday and Saturday thay have around 20 and the place is very busy. On Friday and Saturday nights they put on a Fantasy Hour at midnight which includes lesbian spots. They don't charge the girls though they do take a commission on the dances and as a result there is very little hustle and the place has a nice relaxed atmosphere. Ron the boss is keen to expand and has a premises in the centre of Doncaster (the old Baccus nighclub for those that know the town) which he has licensing etc. for and he hopes to open in March next year.

Directly outside Dancing Dollar is a massive poster for Spearmint Rhino's new club to be opened in Brown St {near the defunct Museum of Popular Music} on the 14th of December. In addition the old Dog and Partridge is due to be reopened as Goodfella's, another TD place, at some point next year. Although Ron told me that, as it was going to be on 2 floors, there were problems with disabled access requiring a lift etc which was slowing things down.

Tyke
28th November, 2002

Ma Bakers. Updated information on Sheffield's only strip-pub with the Dog and Partridge "boarded up" and looking very derelict. Strip shows now take place at Friday teatimes; Saturday and Sunday lunchtimes with Thursdays appearing to have been shelved. Door fees appear to vary but on my last visit I was charged £2.00 entrance; in addition the advertised times appear to bear very little relation to when the girls actually do their acts. The first Friday in every month has a special evening stag show. Tickets are available at £10, or £15 cash if you pay on the door - start time is around 9.30pm though entrance commences at 8.30pm - this includes a buffet. Finally, beware of the mad DJ, and take a pair of ear-plugs.

Mega
1st April, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Dancing Dollar
The Dancing Dollar is Sheffield's first Lap-Dancing Club and is situated at 429, Effingham Road, Sheffield (Tel 0114-2422-434). The venue is in Attercliffe, easily reached from Junction 34 of the M1, just down the road from the Dog and Partridge (still unoccupied) in premises that used to be a "gay" club. Details on their new website.

The owner Ron, who had nothing to do with this type of business prior to opening here, told me he'd seen a niche for this type of entertainment in a city sadly lacking in any clubs of this nature. Together with his stepdaughter Lisa, he'd bought up these premises which are now superbly kitted out with a well stocked bar. In marked contrast to nearby Nottingham, the city council had given advice on planning permission and so on.

Entry fee is £10 and you can purchase "dancing dollars" at the door or bar, to use for personal dances. These take place in a screened area away from the main podium and cost £5 for a topless, £10 for a full strip or £30-£40 for a two-girl dance. The house rules are made very clear at the outset; whilst the dances are very close there is no touching and security staff are on hand close by to ensure that the rules are adhered to. In addition you can buy "tip" dollars at £1 each to reward your favourite dancers.

Every ten minutes or so one of the girls performs a topless dance on the central podium with the use of a centrally located pole. The girls seem primarily dancers rather than "strippers"; aged 18-30 they are approachable and chatty, and most of the ones I met were local girls who had been recruited (and are looked after) by Lisa. At the end of the evening they redeem all their tip dollars and dance dollars for cash. The house obviously retains a percentage; however the system appeared well managed and equitable.

It was suggested in another forum that as this was Sheffield this might be a tawdry operation. Not so, the owners have invested a great amount of time and money ensuring that security is high but not obtrusive; that the girls are well paid and looked after and that the bounds of decency are not breached. They deserve to succeed.

Mega
13th January, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Dog and Partridge closed its doors round about the beginning of July. This unexpected closure was immediately before one of their charity functions and was not, I understand, anything to do with the strip shows but the inability of the licensee to pay any rent for the premises. It is alleged that there will be a re-opening in October but the place does not look good at the moment. When and if it re-opens I'll try to advise through this forum. The D and P supposedly featured on Granada's "Men and Motors" - did anyone see this? The opposition has taken the opportunity to plaster the premises with flyers advertising Ma Bakers - which has extended its strip coverage now to Thursday nights.

Mega
9th September 2001

The Dog and Partridge in Sheffield is now closed until further notice...Argh! Went all the way there this sunday .....

Ma Bakers - Carlisle Street, Sheffield, SN 7QN (0114 2784537) is good though - much smaller with an interesting range of carryouts! (someone sells videos as a sideline to manning the door!) saw Amber and Jazz who were great and played to the crowd wonderfully! Preferred it to D&P actually - worth a look. One Girl every Friday @ 5.30 and Saturday @ 1.45 and two on Sundays @ 1.30 p.m. Admission £1.50 or £2.50.

Bob
3rd September 2001

Dog and Partridge
Situated on the Attercliffe Road, the Sheffield Golden Sauna mile, the Dog and Partridge advertises itself as Sheffield's premier strip pub. The area was once a hub of industrial activity but now is a run down area of town made famous in "The Full Monty." It is reached direct from Junction 34 of the M1.

The D & P has strip-tease every Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday evening plus Saturday and Sunday lunchtimes and Friday teatimes. The Thursday, Friday and Sunday spots have 2 acts whilst the others 1 act. Admission is the princely sum of 1.50 rising to 2.50 when two girls are appearing. A well lit stage complete with one prop, a chair, plus an area for the announcer/DJ stands at the far end of the pub. The girls enter from a changing room at the rear of the stage.

The girls move amongst the clientele with the a certain amount of interaction with baby oil and the like and in most spots some unlucky customer will be invited onto the stage for a ritual humiliation. The girls do not move about the audience when nude and the final part of their acts are always conducted on stage when the ubiquitous chair is used for the audience to gape at various parts of the girl's anatomy. The introduction of the odd sexual article is not unknown at this stage of the act. The girls themselves are Northern lasses and might seem rougher than your southern belles. Nevertheless there are some mind-boggling strippers who regularly appear (Pagan is a must-see) and a visit is commended for those who are in the area.

When two girls are on they normally finish with what is called a "lesbian" act but in reality is an unchoreographed mish-mash. At least once a month a table top "Wild on Wednesday" session is held where the entry fee is a little more but 4 girls (at least) do table top dancing at 5 a number as well as their strips.

Mega
18th June 2000

Firstly:- change to the Dog & Partridge report - now not open on a Wednesday.

Ma Bakers - Carlisle Street East, Brightside, Sheffield.

This is a new strip venue with shows on Friday teatimes (2 girls) and Saturday (1 girl) and Sunday (2 girls) lunchtimes. Entry is either 1.50 or 2.50. The girls are from the same circuit as the "Dog and Partridge". On my first visit I saw "Tracey" and "Starr" - the artiste formerly known as Pagan. My recollection of the Boney M classic was that Ma Baker taught her sons to carry their guns - I certainly have no recollection of the word "vibrators" in the lyrics though they were much in evidence here. The acts are the same as seen elsewhere but the decor is more up-to-date than the antediluvian D & P and the small stage is much closer to the audience. Could well become a very popular venue.

Mega
26th March 2001
Tyke
Dearly departed

Post by Tyke »

I understand that Players {who have clubs in Doncaster, Hull, Derby etc} are opening a new club in the centre of Sheffield soon. Sheffield has had several clubs before but currently only has Spearmint and has always looked a bit "under clubbed" compared to say Leeds.

Tyke