Locals v lap dancers in Newquay

Strip pubs and clubs in Bristol, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Gloucestershire, Somerset and Wiltshire.
Moonraker

Locals v lap dancers in Newquay

Post by Moonraker »

Today's Sunday Times' Travel section has a short article about Newquay becoming the sex capital of the south west and losing out on family-holiday business. The town now has five strip clubs. One B & B owner is quoted as saying "I've had guests saying they won't come back because all you see in the town centre now is strip clubs."

A local campaigner is concerned that if the girls don't make the money one way, they'll make it another. The borough council says it can do little to stop the problem because of the Licensing Act didn't allow it to deliberate on applications to which there had been no public objections. The local MP stated: "The law seems to be weighted in favour of the applicants. That's not fair and must change."
Last edited by Moonraker on Mon May 26, 2008 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyke
Dearly departed

Post by Tyke »

They have 2 strip clubs actually, Mirage closed last year. There is talk of a gay male strip session at somewhere called the " Queen Vic" but I don't know if it's actaulally happened. When anti strip people talk always divide any muners they quote by 3 !

Tyke
fullserviceuk
Agency Owner

Post by fullserviceuk »

Tyke wrote:They have 2 strip clubs actually, Mirage closed last year. There is talk of a gay male strip session at somewhere called the " Queen Vic" but I don't know if it's actaulally happened. When anti strip people talk always divide any muners they quote by 3 !

Tyke
In that case it still leaves at least four... Divas, Halos, Koola Bar and Teazers
Bob S

www.fullservice.co.uk
www.decadenceparties.com
www.stag-shows.co.uk
07890 975772
Tyke
Dearly departed

Post by Tyke »

I had not realised that your lack of expertise extended to Newquay. Koola has a nude license but is basically just a disco, Teasers was part of the Tall Trees nightclub complex {not in the centre anyway} which shut last year but may possibly re-open this summer. I put when Halo opened that there were now 4 clubs in the gossip column {based on what the press were saying} and Alan Whitehead { who runs Divas so should know} corrected me and told me there were just 2 full time clubs at the moment plus the Queen Vic which has just got a license but not done anything with it yet.

Anti strip MPs and the like are always saying there are 6 clubs in Brighton because 6 licenses have been granted but in fact there are 3 and 6 or 7 years ago there were already 2 which hardly fits in with being " swamped with filth" or whatever the current line is.

Tyke
fullserviceuk
Agency Owner

Post by fullserviceuk »

Your post didn't say "full time".

I was going on the number of venues that had strippers on at some point... not the number of clubs that were open 5/6 days a week. So, are you saying that a night club that has strippers on a couple of nights a week during the summer season can't be classed as a venue with strippers? In which case you had better re-write your (vanity published) book as you mention many "strip pubs" that at the time only had strippers on a couple of sessions a week and not every day, week in, week out.

As for Divas and AW... it may interest you to know that, via Max, I'm supplying a lot of girls there as "Mr Entertainment" himself is incapable of finding girls of a high enough standard on his own.
Bob S

www.fullservice.co.uk
www.decadenceparties.com
www.stag-shows.co.uk
07890 975772
Tyke
Dearly departed

Post by Tyke »

By " full time" I mean actually open at the moment. This is what Alan Whitehead has told me,

There are only 2 clubs..Divas is the only lap dancing club with a 600 capacity and 50 girls on,
Halos is 100 capacity with a 3ft rule and has all the mingers we reject.
There is NO comparrison between Divas and Halos
Mirage went bankrupt last year (after their manager told me all my American ideas woudn't work)
Thats it..Koola bar had a 3ft rule topless only license but decided not to bother
There are no other Gentlemans clubs in Newquay..and none planned
I think the council have decided that 2 is enough
best regards
Alan

So as I said originally it's 2 with a possible gay bar opening, Mirage was what Teazers was renamed 18 months ago and then closed down 9 months ago, Koola is a disco with a license that never actually used it.

Almost accurate by your usual standards Bob, well done !

Tyke
fullserviceuk
Agency Owner

Post by fullserviceuk »

Tyke wrote:By " full time" I mean actually open at the moment. This is what Alan Whitehead has told me,

There are only 2 clubs..Divas is the only lap dancing club with a 600 capacity and 50 girls on,
Halos is 100 capacity with a 3ft rule and has all the mingers we reject.
There is NO comparrison between Divas and Halos
Mirage went bankrupt last year (after their manager told me all my American ideas woudn't work)
Thats it..Koola bar had a 3ft rule topless only license but decided not to bother
There are no other Gentlemans clubs in Newquay..and none planned
I think the council have decided that 2 is enough
best regards
Alan

So as I said originally it's 2 with a possible gay bar opening, Mirage was what Teazers was renamed 18 months ago and then closed down 9 months ago, Koola is a disco with a license that never actually used it.

Almost accurate by your usual standards Bob, well done !

Tyke
The strippers I saw in the Koola Bar must have all been in my imagination then!

Regarding Halos... I'm surprised AW claims it contains all the "mingers" he rejected as many of the girls at Halos are ex-Divas but only by dint of "rule breaking" or refusing to pay some of the ridiculous fines imposed on them. So they were OK to employ in the first place, but are mingers once they no longer work for him!

I hear from the girls (both current and ex Divas) that Alan is just as sleazy and touchy-feely now as he ever was...
Bob S

www.fullservice.co.uk
www.decadenceparties.com
www.stag-shows.co.uk
07890 975772
fullserviceuk
Agency Owner

Post by fullserviceuk »

Spoken to a few girls from London who have recently been down to Divas... the general consensus is that the place is a waste of time. One girl who regularly makes £1500+ a weekend at Ye Olde Axe struggled to make £500 over 4 nights (which after "Mr Sleaze" took his commission, she'd paid for travel and accommodation, etc) left her with considerably less than £200. Another couple of girls who work at the City Road FYEO also struggled to make any money.

While AW's ideas (cocktail dresses before midnight, fantasy outfits afterwards, regular "parades" etc) may work in London, they certainly don't further afield. From what I gather the locals think "what the fuck is all that about?"

One thing Tyke hates about Ye Olde Axe in Shoreditch is that Tom has too many girls for the number of customers and charges them too high a house fee... I wonder what his feelings are regarding his mate Alan packing too many girls into a venue, charging them exorbitant house fees and commission and then refusing to pay commission to an agent (my friend) who has provided him with the extra girls he asked for?
Bob S

www.fullservice.co.uk
www.decadenceparties.com
www.stag-shows.co.uk
07890 975772
Tyke
Dearly departed

Post by Tyke »

As for Divas and AW... it may interest you to know that, via Max, I'm supplying a lot of girls there as "Mr Entertainment" himself is incapable of finding girls of a high enough standard on his own.[/quote]

I am surprised that someone with your high morals sends girls to such a dump.

Tyke
fullserviceuk
Agency Owner

Post by fullserviceuk »

Tyke wrote:
I am surprised that someone with your high morals sends girls to such a dump.

Tyke
I was just helping out a friend (Max from Olympia Moments) who is being treated like sh1t by AW, even though the club owners had an agreement with her long before AW ever got involved.

The place isn't a dump... just not run in a way that attracts guys with money to spend on the girls. The management will say it's busy (and it is in terms of numbers of guys who come through the door) but the type of person the club attracts is the bloke on holiday on a fixed budget. As a well known tightwad it's just your sort of place, Tyke. You'd feel comfortably at home surrounded by other guys nursing a pint, watching the free topless shows and spending as little as possible on private dances. While city traders may once have been happy shelling out £200+ on a bottle of bubbly, it really doesn't fit in with the style of Newquay, yet AW, seemingly oblivious of the current economic downturn still wants to run a club as if its the middle of the 1980s.

The irony is that AW runs his clubs using the same basic model as Tom at the Axe... yet one you decry (because, apparently, you don't like his beer) while the other you support. Just how many free dinners did it take, Tyke?
Bob S

www.fullservice.co.uk
www.decadenceparties.com
www.stag-shows.co.uk
07890 975772
Tyke
Dearly departed

Post by Tyke »

The irony is that AW runs his clubs using the same basic model as Tom at the Axe... yet one you decry (because, apparently, you don't like his beer) while the other you support. Just how many free dinners did it take, Tyke?

Where do you get this idea that I support Diva's ? This thread started with people repeating the media line that Newquay is awash with clubs and me correcting it using Alan Whitehead {who should know}as a source. The gossip thing I do on www.strip-magazine.com is circulated to about 70 clubs/agents etc during the month { including the Axe and Mervyn incidentally} for their information and for them to correct anything that they know is wrong. I've never been to Diva's though AW did buy me a coffee once on Leeds railway station, I have tried not to let this colour my opinions.

Tyke
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

In another strip-club forum a prospective dancer claims that she was told by the management at Diva's that his top girls (about 10 of them) earn £1,000 every night, low earners are on about £250-£500 and the top girl earns £5,000 a week. Mm. The girl is very dubious.
fullserviceuk
Agency Owner

Post by fullserviceuk »

Moonraker wrote:In another strip-club forum a prospective dancer claims that she was told by the management at Diva's that his top girls (about 10 of them) earn £1,000 every night, low earners are on about £250-£500 and the top girl earns £5,000 a week. Mm. The girl is very dubious.
Typical club owner/operator/manager bullshit... and AW isn't the only one guilty of such untruths (Peter Strigfellow is a past master at exaggerating what the girls earn)

I don't know who AW claims his "top girls" are, but one girl I know who works at FYEO City Road (and is one of the top earners there) and who was personally asked by AW to work at Divas has stopped going down to Newquay because, while the club is busy in terms of the sheer numbers of guys going in, once inside they spend very little on the dancers.

From what I have been told by several girls who have worked there, most girls are making about £400- £500 over the space of the three busiest shifts (Thursday to Saturday) Once you take off house fess, commission, accommodation and travel expenses, they come home with about £200-£250 for 3 nights work. More than a checkout girl at Tescos, admittedly, but far short of the numbers bandied about by AW and the club.

If 10 girls really are earning £1000 every night (and with about 25-30 girls on most nights) that's over £15,000 being spent every night on dances alone!!! In Newquay??? Maybe on a really, really busy Friday night, but on a Monday???

During the bank holiday weekends the club is full of "tourists" (mostly young "surfer dudes" and groups on stag weekends) who have little spending money (they stay under canvas on camp sites for Christ's sake!!). Outside the main holiday season (about to start in a few weeks) the club is mainly visited by locals... again mostly young lads with little spending money. Through most of July, all of August and the early part of September Newquay attracts both families and young surfers. How many dads do you think will be able to get away from the wife and kids to visit the club? And the few that do manage to sneak away won't exactly be loaded!

To claim 10 girls each earn £1000 every night is as big a lie as Iraq having weapons of mass destruction that could be activated within 45 minutes.
Bob S

www.fullservice.co.uk
www.decadenceparties.com
www.stag-shows.co.uk
07890 975772
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

A dancer has posted a scathing report on this venue and its owner on another forum, with two of our own leading members exchanging comments. I probably wouldn't be thanked for giving the link, but a bit of Googling should get you there.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Divas' licence is being reviewed next week:

see here

Should be an interesting session after the Dispatches programme!
Tyke
Dearly departed

Post by Tyke »

I understand Mirage { which has been shut since the summer of 2007} is re-opening this month, seems a slightly odd time to do it in a place like Newquay.

Tyke
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Contact banned at Divas - three foot distance rule:

see here
Tyke
Dearly departed

Re: Locals v lap dancers in Newquay

Post by Tyke »

More nonsense from Newquay where the local Inspector Knacker has objected to a 2nd lap dance club called Kiss opening by saying that the clubs "may" increase sexual assaults. Actually somebody looked into this a few years ago and found the reverse,

http://www.newquayvoice.co.uk/news/5/article/2950/

His "may" comment has been picked up though by the media including the BBC !

Tyke
Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

A different perspective to that of "Inspector Knacker":

here

Vic
Tyke
Dearly departed

Post by Tyke »

Inspector Knacker has {after an FOI request} now been forced to admit that he has no evidence whatsoever that lap dance clubs increase sexual assaults. If I was behind Kiss I think I would sue Cornwall Police over them misleading the licensing committee.

Tyke
Tyke
Dearly departed

Post by Tyke »

Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

Some very useful info in the article to confound the antis, whether they're so-called feminists or prejudiced councillors.

Hopefully there are a few people - apart from Tyke and Chasmal of the "Stripping the illusion" blog - who collate these facts and statistics so they can be produced to combat the myths and distortions put about by opponents.

Vic
Tyke
Dearly departed

Post by Tyke »

The woman who tried to open Kiss is trying to open another strip place called "The Attic", I wonder whether the Police will lie to the licensing committee again ?

Tyke
Victor23
Top Dog

Post by Victor23 »

Divas directors sentenced for accounting shortcomings

article